THOMAS C. BURCH
Attorney at Law
Chris A. Tarkington
Tarkington, O’Neill, Barrack & Chong
201 Mission Street, Suite 710
San Francisco, CA 94105
Telephone: (415) 345-0712
Facsimile: (415) 546-4962
Thomas C. Burch has been actively engaged in civil litigation and trial practice since his admission to the State Bar of California in 1981. His diverse experience and expertise includes complex civil litigation, business and commercial litigation, professional liability, directors and officers liability, premises liability, employment, construction, real estate, habitation, governmental entity, insurance, and personal injury defense.
Mr. Burch provides thorough and high quality litigation and trial services to a broad range of clients ranging from multi-national corporations, to multi-state business, to local businesses and individuals. He provides each client with timely, responsive, efficient and effective legal services, along with pragmatic and insightful legal advice. He explores creative solutions for the difficult problems faced by the clients. He develops a solid professional working relationship with the clients and remains focused on the clients’ objectives and goals in order to deliver the best results possible.
Mr. Burch also provides business counseling services to select clients on matters ranging from risk management and employment, to contracts, indemnity and insurance.
Mr. Burch has substantial court trial and jury trial experience in both State and Federal Courts in California. Several representative trials are:
- Defense of municipal police department in Federal Court civil rights action arising out of jail cell fire;
- Successful prosecution of multi-million dollar claim on behalf of financial institution against developer/builder involved in fraudulent loan scheme;
- Successful defense of national insurance brokerage in professional liability claim involving paraplegic accident victim;
- Successful defense of upstart national marketing firm in Federal Court action involving alleged fraud and breach of fiduciary duty by upstart when leaving larger national organization;
- Successful defense of a carrier in Federal Court maritime declaratory relief action arising out of alleged fraud in other carrier’s policyholder’s application;
- Successful defense of large residential rental property owner and manager in breach of contract and retaliation claim arising from the eviction of long term resident;
- Successful defense of deceased real estate agent/broker in eight week long fraud and professional liability action arising out of failed swap of undeveloped riverfront property.
While the geographical concentration of Mr. Burch’s practice is in the State and Federal Courts in California, he has also litigated cases in several other states.
Mr. Burch was an early proponent of alternative dispute resolution and remains committed to its advantages in time and cost over lengthy trials as a means of resolving disputes. He has served as a settlement panelist in San Francisco Superior Court.
In addition to serving his clients, Mr. Burch has written selected articles for trade publications and participated as a panelist in legal seminars.
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, , J.D. 1981
- University of California at Davis, B.S. Agricultural Economics and Business Management, 1978
- State Bar of California
Admitted to Practice in:
- California State Courts
- United States District Courts, Northern, Eastern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
Memberships and Panels
- State Bar of California
- Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California
- American Alpine Club, Member (1990 to present); Section Chair of Sierra Nevada Section (2009 to present)
- Member of several American Himalayan Climbing Expeditions to Nepal including Makalu (1990), Ama Dablam (1996), Everest (2003), Kyajo Ri (2008)